Thursday 14 August 2014

Proud Peacock!


Priya Sakhi


Happy Independence day Dear Friend!


Today I think of the Mahatma who said `I’m a lover of my own liberty, and so I would do nothing to restrict yours."


Today as we celebrate our 68th year of Independence-- have we lived up to the Mahatma's vision of Free India? 



For that matter how much of the vision of all our great leaders, seers, pioneers, scientists, artistes are we fulfilling? 

Is this vision needed? I am free! I am responsible! And that is enough?

The above question is not a rhetoric one.

Now as a dancer what does this  freedom mean? 

I am ever proud to be an Indian and even `prouder' to be an Indian classical dancer.
Hey then you can call me a Proud Peacock-- as I am a dancer, and Indian and hence the peacock? and very proud to be so? Clever aint I?
Priya Sakhi , no, no do not throw that cushion on me-- I promise no mokkai-s.

But am I independent as a dancer? Not really. There is that interdependence on music, musicians, mentors, patrons -- the list is endless.


 Being a dancer (of the travails I need not mention) is getting more difficult! No, this is not `I do not even have one solo' whine, sakhi!


The life of a dancer is unique!

As a profession it is one that is best pursued with a passion. The returns from it is intangible,  inexplicable and hence misunderstood.
A passion that is often not understood as it cannot be structured in a tight corporate  financial module.

Very often I have observed that when a corporate woman travels, she is busy looking at figures, meetings and conferences, it is appreciated.

But many times people look at me strangely when I as a Bharatanataym dancer go for a meeting! You work in an office?, they ask!
No thankfully not!

But do we have a structure? We all work hard, many of us start the day at 6.00, classes, rehearsals, recording sessions, meetings(!!), programmes, research libraries.... 


And then when we get engaged  to be married,  that unspoken fear  follows-- what happens to my dance? can I pursue my passion?!!


But Sakhi as you know, I always thank god for that one statement that my then`prospective partner' and my `now husband' made-- why are you asking me permission to dance when it is a part of your life, even before you met me?'

Sakhi, now friend do not go supporting him....you are on my side remember?
Just kidding!

But having said that, what a struggle it is for most dancers who work as hard as any other from the corporate world!
Is there any policy for the arts that does not involve any confusion?( the present circular from the Ministry of Culture, being a classic example).
There are efforts to clarify, amend rules... but everything is a struggle.

Personal freedom, personal glory, personal opportunities vis-a-vis the fraternity and its concerns at large.

Criticisms, praise, conflicts, understanding, positive, negative.....

But ! when we dance that bubble envelopes us--- it is only music, it is only me , my emotion, then even `I' disappears--- it is Krishna, it is Devaki,  Radha, it is Sita--- Everything else ceases to be! A wonderful ideal state...

I have the freedom, freedom of delving within myself, to be free.
 Sakhi!
I am proud to be a peacock-- an Indian dancer!







No comments:

Post a Comment