Sunday 8 March 2015

Women's Days

Priya Sakhi, 

My dearest friend. It has been a long time since I connected with you. It's not because of lethargy , no writter's block either... . But I realised that I express my innermost thoughts with you. Did I want to address all the chaos that was going inside and outside of me to you? Be  Negativee? Nope ! I wanted
 to talk to you when I had something positive and happy to say. 
Here we are, celebrating today as the International Women's Day. Celebrating ? 
But what is the basis  of this celebration? Giving away a few awards, freebies, music and dance... All this is okay but ....There is something missing. 
That horrific film (Horrific because of what is being said in it) on Nirbhaya, stories of rape, discrimination  against women.... appalling!
I hate to whine, I would much rather find out the root of the problem . Then we can get to a solution. 
It is like us Bharatanatyam artistes complaining that there are no audiences. Is it not better to widen the audience? be proactive?
Coming back to women-- what is our problem? Are we being viewed as objects of sex alone? Can men dictate to us how long we stay out at night? Where we go? How can the lawyer express such archaic views in the movie? We are homosapiens living in this galaxy, making great strides in scientific advancements.  We are equal to men. We look great,  we are intelligent, we are accomplished-- hey Sakhi, that makes us more than equal to men? 
No, no, Sakhi, I am not a feminist. But I believe that we, that is men and women, cannot function without one another. 
So what we need is to respect each other. Give each other their respective spaces. Have equal standards. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. We have a right to walk alone. We have a right to walk with our significant other. We have right to voice our opinions.  
Does that make me a feminist? If it does, so jbe it. 
Give the respect. That is the basis of our tradition. That is the basis of modernism. Respect tradition. Respect the modern. 
Then let us see if we need one day as women's day and all that appears on facebook,whatsapp,blah.
But sakhi,,. Everyday is our day.. So Happy Women's Days Priyasakhi.. Sakhi Prana. 


No comments:

Post a Comment