Saturday 15 March 2014

I ME MYSELF

December 9, 2013 at 7:12am
Most of us were glued to the television sets-- endorsing the `sweeping' changes in our poll results...

Most of us artistes are busy rehearsing, working on our productions, photo shoots, vying with each other in posting photographs, getting our sari-s out, our jewellery ready...

Most of us are glued to the television sets watching the dismal performance by the cricket team, watching football, Karan Johar with Kareena (without a T) and Ranbir....

But do we know that for people like Kasthuri-- my maid-- none of these matters. There was her husband drunk in front of a water lorry. She pulled him by his shirt away from the way---- and what a price she paid!
He beat her, hit her on her eyes, pulled clumps of hair from her recently tonsured head, kicked her.... her body aches she said

What did I do? just applied some bengay. I shouted said that we should put him in jail... but she pleaded saying that she cannot do that to him, the beast. She is the earning member, she is the cook, she cleans, she washes... she is a homemaker, she is the career woman, she is the punching bag....

She still manages to smile...

I am angry, I am crying inside .. I am helpless... oh I have to go for my exercise.. I have my dance... I ... I.....
Kasthuri smiles....Muniyamma smiles... Valli smiles.....

I have to practise my smile for my character....My laugh... I talk of humbling moments-- Ego, id and Super Id

The world is still about ME right as Kasthuri smiles.... with pain in her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment